Core Documents - The five documents below represent the core documents of Federal agency greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting under section 9 of Executive Order 13514. Agencies should reference these materials to complete their inventories.
- Executive Order 13514 – Section 9 of EO13514 requires federal agencies to measure and report their GHG emissions.
- CEQ Guidance - Federal Greenhouse Gas Accounting and Reporting Guidance – The Council on Environmental Quality has issued formal guidance to federal agencies that establishes government-wide requirements for calculating and reporting greenhouse gas emissions associated with Federal agency operations.
- CEQ Technical Support Document – The Council on Environmental Quality has issued this additional document to the Federal Greenhouse Gas Accounting and Reporting Guidance to specify all technical details related to calculating and reporting greenhouse gas emissions associated with Federal agency operations.
- CEQ Instructions for Submitting FY2014 Agency GHG Inventories and Annual Energy Reporting Requirements – This pdf file contains official instructions from CEQ for 1) official email notification of submission by Senior Sustainability Officers (SSOs) to the CEQ Chair and OMB Director; and 2) submission of GHG inventory, energy, and water data to the Department of Energy's Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP). (FedCenter Account Required)
- Small Agency Tools for GHG Inventory Reporting – These tools are intended to assist small agencies with determining which emissions categories they may need to report in their GHG inventories and how to report these emissions. The tools assist small agencies with reporting, but they are not a substitute for reporting through the Reporting Portal.
FEMP Reporting Portal – This MS Excel workbook provides electronic reporting capability for the Federal agency compiled comprehensive GHG inventory for fiscal year 2013 for the purpose of measuring progress toward the goals established under Executive Order 13514.
Training Video for Reporting Portal – The Greenhouse Gas and Sustainability Data Report Demonstration provides a step-by-step guide on completing each tab of the Greenhouse Gas and Sustainability Data Report (Excel 2007 spreadsheet) for inventory and reporting Federal agency greenhouse gas emissions across scopes 1, 2, and 3. This video is presented by John Nangle of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Individual modules cover each element of the report spreadsheet and each can be accessed separately once the player is opened. Users of the module should open the reporting spreadsheet for reference before beginning the course.
A text transcript of the course (pdf file) is also available here.
FAQs – Review these key Frequently Asked Questions to take some of the mystery out of your GHG inventory job. These are up-to-date answers from the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP).
GHG Inventory Assistance – In addition to the training video provided above to assist with entering data into the reporting portal, FEMP is able to offer agencies very limited assistance during the FY11 reporting cycle specifically to help with understanding and applying the GHG accounting methodologies in the Technical Support Document. Agency personnel requiring this type of assistance should send an e-mail with their specific questions and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Sector Protocol – While the CEQ Guidance is meant to be a stand-alone document that details procedures for Federal agencies to comply with Subsection 2(c), EO 13514, it follows the basic guidelines found in the GHG Protocol for the U.S. Public Sector (U.S. Public Sector Protocol, or PSP).
The Federal Government seeks to continually improve both the quality of data and the methods used to calculate greenhouse gas emissions. Over time, additional requirements, methodologies and procedures will be considered for revisions to these documents to improve the Federal Government's ability to accurately account for and report greenhouse gas emissions.