Jul. 18, 2014
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has launched a Green Infrastructure Collaborative with the support of six other government agencies at the President's State, Local, and Tribal Leaders Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience. EPA joined with the U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Interior, U.S. Department of Defense, and U.S. Department of Energy to release a Federal Letter of Support for green infrastructure and the Collaborative.
Agency commitments include:
· Technical assistance to provide on-the-ground support aimed at creating integrated green stormwater management and hazard mitigation plans.
· Recognizing innovative green infrastructure projects.
· Working with States to integrate ecosystems and transportation planning.
· Incorporating green infrastructure practices into agency facilities or lands.
· Emphasizing connections to green infrastructure in existing grant programs.
· Distilling and broadly disseminating the best ideas and lessons learned from existing grant programs.
Over the coming weeks, EPA will engage with a range of both public and private organizations to expand this collaborative and align resources to provide a platform for sharing best practices, provide on-the-ground community support, develop actionable planning tools for decision-makers, conducting research on increasing affordability and effectiveness, and align public and private knowledge and resources to promote green infrastructure.
EPA also launched brand new web content to demonstrate how green infrastructure can be used as an important tool for building community resilience to climate change impacts such as increased heavy rainfall and heat island effect, including an infographic and fact sheet: http://water.epa.gov/infrastructure/greeninfrastructure/climate_res.cfm
For more information:
Federal Support Letter for the Green Infrastructure Collaborative:
White House Fact Sheet: Taking Action to Support State, Local, and Tribal Leaders as They Prepare Communities for the Impacts of Climate Change:
Green Infrastructure Program
US EPA - Office of Water
Office of Wastewater Management