- We collect NO personal information like names or addresses when you visit our public website. If you choose to provide that information to us it is only used to fulfill your request for information.
- If you are a Federal employee you may be eligible to receive a sign-in account to the restricted areas of the FedCenter website. If so, we will ask you for your name, agency, and e-mail address for the purposes of authorizing your access. This information is kept secure.
We do collect some technical information when you visit to make your visit seamless. The section below explains how we handle and collect technical information when you visit our website.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you browse, read pages or download information on FedCenter, we automatically gather and store certain technical information about your visit. This information never identifies who you are. The information we collect and store about your visit is listed below:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our website;
- The type of browser (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer) and operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
- If you linked to the FedCenter.gov website from another website, the address of that website.
This information is only used to help us make the site more useful for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. We never track or record information about individuals and their visits.
Back to Top
When you visit some websites, their webservers generate pieces of information known as cookies. Some cookies collect personal information to recognize your computer in the future. This is not the case at FedCenter.gov, where we only use non-persistent cookies or "per-session cookies." These cookies do not collect personal information on users and they are erased as soon as you leave our website.
Per-session cookies serve technical purposes like providing seamless navigation through FedCenter.gov. These cookies do not permanently record data and they are not stored on your computer's hard drive. FedCenter.gov cookies are stored in memory and are only available during an active browser session. Again, once you close your browser, the cookie disappears.
If You Send Us Personal Information
If you choose to provide us with personal information – like filling out a Contact Us form with a name and e-mail address and submitting it to us through the website – we use that information to respond to your message and to help us get you the information you have requested. We only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private organizations. FedCenter.gov never collects information for commercial marketing.
While you must provide a name and e-mail address for a localized response to any incoming questions or comments to FedCenter.gov, we recommend that you NOT include any other personal information, especially Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration offers additional guidance on sharing your Social Security number.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs commercial software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
Back to Top
FedCenter.gov Linking Policy
FedCenter.gov links to many websites created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. FedCenter.gov provides these links as a service to our users. When users link to an outside website, they are leaving the FedCenter.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website(s). Be sure to review the FedCenter.gov Linking Policy.
FedCenter.gov will not link to any website that exhibits hate, bias or discrimination. Furthermore, FedCenter reserves the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with FedCenter.gov's mission or policies.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on the FedCenter.gov website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. FedCenter.gov provides these links and pointers solely for our users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside website, they are leaving the FedCenter.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website.
- FedCenter does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- FedCenter does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- FedCenter cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- FedCenter is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.
- FedCenter does not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.