EPA's federal facility program ensures that federal facilities comply with environmental laws, take actions to prevent, control and abate pollution, and fosters greater environmental stewardship within the federal community. EPA employs strategies which include traditional enforcement tools, and also those which integrate compliance assistance, environmental management systems, partnering and other cooperative efforts. Efforts are also focused on federal agencies with poor compliance records, and government sectors and activities which have significant impacts on the environment.
- Compliance News (alerts, bulletins, webinars, special articles, etc.)
- EPA's FY2023 - FY2026 Strategic Plan
EPA's FY 2022-2026 Strategic Plan communicates the Agency's priorities and provides the roadmap for achieving its mission to protect human health and the environment. In this Strategic Plan, the Agency renews its commitment to four principles which are: follow the science, follow the law, be transparent, and advance justice and equity.
- FY2024-FY2027 National Compliance Initiatives
EPA's National Compliance Initiatives (NCIs) advance the Agency Strategic Plan's objectives to improve air quality, provide for clean and safe water, ensure chemical safety, and improve compliance with our nation's environmental laws while enhancing shared accountability between the EPA and states and tribes with authorized environmental programs.
- EPA Federal Facilities Compliance and Enforcement Focus Areas (Compliance Assistance Links)
- NPDES SNC: Federal facilities are part of EPA's National Compliance Initiative to address facilities with CWA NPDES permits that are in Significant Non-Compliance.
- Lead: Federal facilities can play a large role in reducing exposure to lead from lead-based paint, water, soil, and air emissions at their facilities and in neighboring communities.
- SDWA: Federally owned/operated drinking water systems and underground injection control (UIC) wells.
- CAA: Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine (RICE)(40 CFR 63 subpart ZZZZ and 60 subparts IIII and JJJJ) component in CAA inspections.
- RCRA: Medical Facilities, Agricultural Laboratories (or research stations), and Biological, Chemical, and Munition Laboratories.
- Superfund Task Force
- EPA's Guide to Enforcement and Compliance at Federal Facilities (a.k.a. the "Yellow Book")
Explanation of the federal government's responsibilities under the environmental statutes, and the enforcement and compliance process used by EPA at federal facilities.
- Environmental Compliance Auditing
An overview of the environmental compliance auditing process, including EPA's perspective on compliance auditing and compliance auditing at federal facilities.
- EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA)
- EPA Regional POCs
- Contact EPA
As a Federal practitioner, do you have any requests for additional compliance information or training?